5 REASONS TO ADD HIKING ON MAUI TO YOUR BUCKET LIST
1. EDIBLE PLANTS . . . YUM!
Maui’s trails are lined with tasty wonders—from the purple vervain plant that tastes like a mushroom to the wild lilikoʻi (passionfruit) that strikes an addictive balance of sweet and tangy.
Of course, you have to know what you’re looking for. Before you begin nibbling on every leafy green you see, consult with an expert who is familiar with the local landscape.
Ahem, not to brag or anything, but . . . Hike Maui’s guides are pretty darn smart when it comes to discerning the edible from the ewww. In fact, sampling the occasional wild plant is a highlight for many guests!
2. NO PREDATORS
Worried about venomous snakes, barbarian reptiles or deadly spiders? Don’t be!
Outdoor enthusiasts will be happy to hear that Maui’s wildlife is relatively benign. There are no predators like bears or harmful plants such as poison ivy, so exploring the great outdoors here is a pleasant experience.
3. EXPERIENCE THE WONDER OF WATERFALLS
“Which way to the waterfall?!”
It’s a common question here on Maui. The good news: Maui is home to a wealth of spectacular waterfalls. The bad news: Many are inaccessible or unreachable by foot.
More good news: Fellow waterfall fanatics will be right at home with Hike Maui . . .
- The easy-breezy Morni/hiking-tours/ng Waterfall Walk is great for families or anyone who is short on time
- The popular Waterfall & Rainforest Hiking Adventure explores private trails leading to multiple waterfalls and natural swimming pools
- Explore Maui by land and air on the adventurous Zipline & Waterfall Combo Tour
- Meander through an enchanting bamboo forest before encountering a dramatic 400-foot waterfall on the Ultimate Hana Full-Day Adventure Tour
4. YEAR–ROUND HIKING
When’s the best time to go hiking on Maui? Any time! Seriously.
While Maui is famous for its year-round pleasant weather, we do experience rain every so often. But here’s a little secret: Rainy days are some of the best days for hiking!
The rain can reveal a side of the forest that you won’t see otherwise. Greens become greener . . . scents become sweeter . . . and the natural world seems to burst to life when the rain starts falling.
5. VARIED LANDSCAPES
Hiking on Maui is all about diversity.
No two hikes on Maui are alike, which is why we love exploring the island’s trails. We’re pretty sure you’ll be just as smitten.
So bust out that bucket list and add “Hike on Maui!” to the top. You won’t regret it.